Tuesday, July 21

' US HUMANS '

"Self-worth is not a thing; it is a perception. Just as a gymnast begins a routine with ten points and receives deductions for each mistake, so you begin life with a natural, complete sense of worth. But as you grow, you serve as your own judge, deducting points when you misunderstand the nature of living, and learning...when you forget you are a human-in-training and that making mistakes and having slips of integrity and mediocre moments are a part of life, not unforgettable sins"

Dan Millman from: Everyday Enlightenment

George Bernard Shaw once remarked that "the ignorant are cocksure and the intelligent full of doubt."

This quote really got me thinking...which am I...I am full of self-doubt, but this 'Long Journey' through the mental illness with my daughter, has made me question many things about life. No, mental illness is not fair....yes, it i difficult to deal with.... would we have chosen this for our daughter, her family and our family....quite possibly not...but then I reflect back, see far more difficult situations and am then thankful for our troubles. The old say "walk a mile in my shoes, before you criticize me" has much meaning. My feelings are; we are given troubles in this life to grow as human beings. I would pray that my troubles have made me grow as a human being, that I have learned hard lessons, and in doing so, have become more compassionate towards my fellow man.

There have been a couple of times in my life, when things got eye-brow level, I have simply stepped back from the situation. The step back was due to the actions of certain people. People that should have known better. Some people have judged me because I did so, but they didn't know all the facts about why. I made the choice a couple of years ago, to step back and re-group. I did so for myself and my family. I do know that you can come back with a renewed sense of self-worth, inner peace, and strength. It is a feeling I cannot put into words...but the inner peace is there


1 comment:

Grammy Staffy said...

Inner peace is a wonderful thing to achieve. Some days I have it more than others... but I always have a portion of inner peace with me. I am thankful for that.

Life does teach us many things...some are harder on us than others. I think the important thing is just to keep trying to do better each day.

Have a great week. (((hugs))) Lura