Saturday, October 3

HAVE I DONE ANY GOOD?

Have I done any good in the world today?
Have I helped anyone in need?
Have I cheered up the sad, and made someone glad?
If not, I have failed indeed.
Has anyone's burden been lighter today,
Because I was willing to share?
Have the sick and the weary been helped on their way?
When they reached for my hand, was I there?
There are chances for work all around just now,
Opportunities right in our way.
Do not let them pass by, saying "sometime I'll try",
But go and do something today.
"Tis noble of man to work and to give;
Love's labor has merit alone.
Only he who does something, helps others to live.
To God each good work will be known.
Then wake up and do something more
Than dream of a mansion above.
Doing good is a pleasure, a joy beyond measure,
A blessing of duty and love.


Yesterday Ned and I went to the funeral services for a friend, and we sang this song. It made me think of the people with mental health issues, who are struggling every day to just survive. The National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) http://www.nami.org/ is there to help. I feel it is my duty to help the best I can. I always say "for the grace of God, go I."

2 comments:

Grammy Staffy said...

How true....how true

Anonymous said...

You are certainly doing much good every day and inspire us all to be better. Love ya, Girlfriend! From, Diana