Friday, August 14

MY SISTER SANDRA

My sister Sandra, was born October 25, 1936, in a small town in Minnesota. She and I were born 3 years and 4 days apart. My sister and I were friends, and I can remember going ice-skating together in the cold Minnesota winters and coming home. Mom would have hot chocolate and cookies for us, playing softball, climbing trees, and just having fun playing together. Yes, and we did get into our fair share of mischief. I guess you could say we were "best buddies".



My sister worked at a LPN for a number of years, then decided she wanted to become a registered nurse. She enrolled at Westminster College in Salt Lake City and graduated with her Bachelor Of Science in Nursing (BSN) in 1991. This is my sister at her pinning ceremony. Sandra graduated with high honors.

Sandra and me at after the graduation ceremony from Westminster College. And now the story begins. About a year after my sister received her BSN, she had a stoke. She was in the hospital and rehabilitation for about 6 months. She wondered if she would ever be able to work again, but then that old "Irish and German" extract kicked in, and she began her journey towards recovery, which was amazing to watch. My sister decided the way to challenge her mind to recover, was to enroll in college again, which she did.

My sister Sandra when she graduated with her Master of Science in Gerontology from the University Of Utah in 1999. Again, my sister graduated with honors. She challenged herself every minute, while still recovering from her stroke. If this isn't amazing, nothing is. I have never seen anyone overcome obstacles like she did, but she did it....and WITH HIGH HONORS. My sister Sandra is still working as a registered nurse. Ned, Sandra and me.

Once again, thank you Mom and Dad for raising us kids with the values you did, the tenacity to carry on when the going got tough, and the ability to rise above obstacles. You did an amazing job !!! Blessed are those who have been given good and holy parents.







1 comment:

Grammy Staffy said...

What an amazing sister. No wonder you are proud of her. Of course she is lucky...or should I say blessed... to have you for a sister too.
I love the pictures of you. You are so pretty and look just like I thought you would.

I can't wait to cruise with you.