Sunday, September 13

NAMI WALKS FOR THE MINDS OF AMERICA

Tomorrow is the NAMI WALK. I want to thank those who supported me: My sweet hubby Ned, Lura, Janet, Allyson, Everett, Marcy, (Ward S, Dale D, Bob H, Bob T. These are my hubby's coffee buddies), Anonymous, and my daughter Debby. Your thoughtfulness is appreciated so much. As I walk, I will be thinking of you.....God Bless...and thanks again.....

On September 26, 2009, I will be walking for the minds of America. The National Alliance on Mental Illness and NAMI state sponsors the yearly walk. I will be walking for our daughter, as many of you know, who suffers from Schizophrenia. This is a cause I am committed to, and participated in for the last 3 years. It is a major fund raiser for NAMI State, so they can continue to provide our FREE EDUCATION programs, such as Family to Family class, BASICS, Bridges, Support Groups, and many more programs. The walk is a fun event, even in the rain.
We found out we didn't melt !!
Mental Illness is a medical illness. No one is immune. About 60 million Americans experience mental health problems in any given year. One in 17 lives with the most serious illnesses, such as Schizophrenia, Major Depression and Bipolar.
Treatment works, but it can take 10 years, between the onset of symptoms and getting help. Half of cases begin at age 14, but less than half of children or adults get help when they need it. People with serious mental illness (SMI) live 25 years less than other people. (NAMI-NIMH)
I would like to share some facts and numbers published by the National Alliance on Mental Illness:
  • One in four adults-approximately 57.7 million Americans-experience a mental health disorder in a given year. One in seventeen lives with a serious mental illness, such as schizophrenia, major depression or bipolar disorder, and about one in ten children have a serious mental or emotional disorder.
  • About 2.4 million American, or 1.1 percent of the adult population, lives with schizophrenia.
  • An estimated 5.2 million adults have co-occurring metal health and addiction disorders. Of adults using homeless services, thirty-one percent reported have a combination of these conditions.

If these statistics don't raise awareness of mental health issues, nothing ever will. People would never discriminate against someone who has cancer, diabetes or similar diseases. Mental illness is a disease of the brain, the most important part of the whole body.

Please support me as I walk on the 26th of September. Simply click on the link below to make an on-line donation. Any and all amounts are welcome. Thank you for lightening my steps as I WALK FOR THE MINDS OF AMERICA, and for helping me along the way. God Bless...

http://www.nami.org/walkTemplate.cfm?section=NAMIWALKS&template=/customsource/namiwalks/walkerpage.cfm&walkerID=100213

2 comments:

Grammy Staffy said...

Good luck dear,
I think that it is good of you to do this. I wish you the very best.

Grammy Staffy said...

I was happy to announce your walk-a-thon on my blog. I hope that some of my blog friends respond. They have good hearts so I think some will. Have a good day and best wishes with the NAMI walk.
Hugs, Lura